This is originally Paul Hollywood’s recipe, with a few changes to our liking. He uses macadamia nuts, but we have a few people with nut allergies so had to give those a miss. He also uses soft dark brown sugar, whereas we prefer a mix of dark & light. We also doubled the sauce recipe as everyone always asks for more sauce. You can never have enough sauce!
- 175 g dates (stoned & chopped)
- 200 ml boiling water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 75 g butter
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 50 g dark brown sugar
- 175 g sifted self raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsps fudge pieces
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Sticky toffee sauce:
- 200 g butter
- 150 g light brown sugar
- 150 g dark brown sugar
- 300 ml double cream
- Recite Bismillah.
- In a bowl, pour the boiling water over the dates.
- Stir in the bicarbonate soda.
- Meanwhile in another large bowl, cream together butter & sugar till light & fluffy.
- Add the eggs & beat.
- Then fold in the flour.
- Stir in the dates with the water & fudge pieces.
- Cover the bowl well with cling film & place in the fridge.
- 30 mins before serving, remove the bowl from the fridge & stir in the baking powder
- Preheat oven to 180c. (Oven temperatures may vary from 170-180).
- Grease a 10″ by 9″ oven tray.
- Bake for 20-25 mins or until springy to touch.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce by melting all the ingredients together together in a saucepan. Bring to a boil & let it bubble on low heat for 3-4 mins or until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon. (You can do this in advance too & just reheat before serving).
- Poke holes all over the pudding with a fork.
- Pour half the sauce all over the pudding.
- Serve immediately with ice cream & remaining sauce. Enjoy!