This is originally Mary Berrys chocolate cake recipe! She uses the all in on method, however we prefer our method below.
- 50g Cocoa powder (we prefer bournville )
- 6Tbsp boiling water
- 300g sugar (preferably caster sugar)
- 100g salted butter (preferably left at room temperature overnight / few hours)
- 175g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vanilla essence (optional)
- 4 tbsp milk
- 3 eggs (preferably left at room temperature overnight / few hours)
- Recite Bismillah
- Preheat oven to 180c fan.
- Beat butter with sugar till creamy.
- Meanwhile sift the self raising flour in a bowl & set aside.
- Mix cocoa & boiling water to make a thick paste & set aside
- Prepare your cupcake cases by placing them in a cupcake baking tin / tray. This will help your cakes to bake evenly.
- Add eggs, flour, milk & vanilla to butter & cream mixture. Mix.
- Add cocoa mixture to above mixture & mix well till well combined but be careful not to over beat!
- Fold in baking powder.
- Spoon into cupcake cases using an ice cream scoop and bake for 20 mins at 180c . You will know the cake is cooked when the sides have started to release from the pan & the middle is springy to touch. Do not rely on a clean toothpick!
- Remove from cupcake pan or tray & allow to cool, preferably on a cooling rack.
- Frost & enjoy! (see our recipes)
- To avoid cocoa lumps in your batter, beat the cocoa & water using a electric whisk till its smooth.
- If you do not have a stand mixer, have all the ingredients weighed out & ready so all you are focusing on is the making the cake batter!
- If you do not have caster sugar, you can make some at home yourself! Simply blitz granulated sugar in a food processor / chopper, till the grains look like caster sugar, be careful not to blitz it too much & turn it into icing sugar!
6 thoughts on “Rich Chocolate Cupcakes”
Hi, the sugar you use is it caster ?
Hey, we use whatever we have but we do prefer caster sugar! X
Thank you for the reply 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hi I tried this before and when I mixed the boiling water and cocoa and added it to mix it was all grainy and so many lumps of cholocate, how do I avoid this?
LikeLiked by 1 person
Hey .. mix it with a whisk or electric whisk x
How much cupcakes does this make?