- 6 oz salted butter (preferably left at room temperature overnight / few hours)
- 6 oz sugar (preferably caster sugar)
- 3 eggs (preferably left at room temperature overnight / few hours)
- 6 oz self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon essence
- zest of one lemon
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 1/4 oz sugar
- Recite Bismillah.
- Preheat oven to 170 c. (Ovens may vary from 170-180)
- Beat butter & sugar till light & creamy. This may take a while & is the key to light & airy cakes. (We recommend taking out the stand mixer for this)
- Meanwhile sift the self raising flour in a bowl & set aside.
- Prepare your cupcake cases by placing them in a cupcake baking tin / tray. This will help your cakes to bake evenly.
- Add one egg at a time to the butter & cream mixture, along with 1 tbsp of flour each time & beat. Be careful not to over beat.
- Fold in the flour, zest, baking powder & lemon essence.
- Spoon into cupcake cases using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake at 170 c for 15-20 mins. You will know the cake is cooked when the sides have started to release from the pan & the middle is springy to touch. Do not rely on a clean toothpick!
- Prepare lemon drizzle by dissolving lemon juice & sugar over heat.
- Pour lemon drizzle over cupcakes whilst they are still hot.
- Remove from cupcake pan or tray & allow to cool, preferably on a cooling rack.
- Frost with lemon frosting. (see our recipe)
- If you think your batter looks very doughy like add a few tbsps of water.
- If you do not have a stand mixer, have all the ingredients weighed out & ready so all you are focusing on is the making the cake batter!
- If you do not have caster sugar, you can make some at home yourself! Simply blitz granulated sugar in a food processor / chopper, till the grains look like caster sugar, be careful not to blitz it too much & turn it into icing sugar!