- 12 oz margarine
- 12 0z sugar (preferably caster sugar)
- 6 eggs
- 12 0z self raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp lemon essence
- zest of 2 lemons
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 1/2 oz sugar
- 1 lemon juice
- zest of one lemon
- 50g sugar
- 25g butter
- 1/4 tbsp cornflour
- Recite Bismillah.
- Preheat oven to 170 c.
- Cream margarine & sugar till light & creamy.
- Add one egg at a time, along with 1 tbsp of flour each time & beat. Be careful not to over beat.
- Fold in the flour, zest, lemon essence & water.
- Divide mixture into two 10″ round greased pans & bake at 170c for 20-25 mins.
- Prepare lemon drizzle by dissolving lemon juice & sugar over heat.
- Pour lemon drizzle over cakes whilst they are still hot.
- Allow to cool.
- Prepare lemon curd by mixing all the ingredients in a saucepan. Cook until thick & cool.
- Allow cake to cool & then fill with curd & decorate with lemon frosting. (see frosting recipes).
( You may substitute the lemon curd with lemon frosting or even fill the cake with both lemon curd & frosting!)
Tip: If you think your batter looks very doughy like add a few tbsps of water.