- 500g potatoes (sliced like crisps)
- 1 tsp salt (3/4 measuring tsp)
- 1 tsp coriander powder (3/4 measuring tsp)
- 1 tsp Cumin powder (3/4 measuring tsp)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric (less than 1/4 measuring tsp)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder (3/4 measuring tsp)
- 3 tbsps oil
- 1 tub yogurt (425g)
- 1/2 small onion (chunked)
- 1 tsp salt or to taste (3/4 measuring tsp)
- 1 tbsp gram flour (chana atta)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (less than a 1/4 measuring tsp)
- 1 tsp garlic (3/4 measuring tsp)
- 5 green chillies or according to preference
- Less than a handful of fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp almonds
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1/4 cup milk / water / single cream
- 1/2 tsp sugar or to taste (1/4 measuring tsp)
Wagaar for khuri:
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds (3/4 measuring tsp)
- 2 small pieces of cinnamon sticks
- 2 cloves
- 7/8 curry leaves (curry limri)
- Less than a 1/4 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 tbsps ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/4 medium onion (finely sliced)
- 1 heaped tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup toor dhal (soak for an hour- skip this if you are not serving immediately )
- 1 cup rice (soak for an hour – skip this if you are not serving immediately )
- 1 1/2 tsps salt (1 measuring tsp)
- 3/4 tsps turmeric powder (1/2 measuring tsp)
- 3 cups water
- Recite Bismillah.
- In a non stick pan combine all the ingredients for the potato fry. Cook on medium heat with lid on until tender. If you prefer them slightly crispy cook without covering until desired crispiness.
- In a liquidiser blend all the ingredients for the khuri mix.
- In a pot roast the cumin seeds, cinnamon sticks & cloves till the cumin seeds are slightly darker & releases it’s aroma.
- Then add the oil, ghee & curry leaves. Cook till it begins to bubble.
- Add the khuri mix. Stir continuously bringing it to a boil. Season if needed. If it is too thick add water.
- Prepare the khichri by frying onions in ghee & oil till they are pinkish. Turn off the heat.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- 45 mins before serving, cook the rice on high heat, on medium flame till it comes to a boil.
- Then lower the heat & cook till water reduces till you can see the rice. There should still be water in the pot. The more softer & mushier you want the khichri, the more water you will leave inside.
- Place a flat skillet underneath the pot & cook till water evaporates & khichri is cooked. This should take about 25-30 mins.
- Serve with khi & potato fry. Enjoy!