A tasty traditional Indian lentil curry served with rice.
- 1/2 a chicken
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pinch of turmeric
- 1 or 2 cinnamon sticks (taj)
- 2 cloves (lawing)
- 1/2 cup dhal (Toor dhal)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup rice
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp finely sliced onion
- 11/2 tsp salt
- 1 cardamom (elachi)
- 1 1/2 cups water (may need more)
- 1 finely sliced onion
- 2 whole green chillies
- 7 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp ginger garlic
- 1 heaped tsp coriander powder
- 1 level tsp cumin powder
- 100ml grounded tin tomato
- Salt to taste
- Coriander for garnishing
- Recite Bismillah
- Wash dhal & soak for 1 1/2 hours.
- In a pot cook chicken with salt, turmeric powder, cinnamon sticks & cloves on low heat till its half cooked. (About 20 mins)
- Boil dhal in water on low heat till cooked. (You will know the dhal is cooked when it is mushy. This can take up to 2- 2 1/2 hours. Time may vary each time.
- In a separate pot prepare the rice by frying onions, cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon sticks & cardamom in ghee & oil till onions are slightly pink.
- Add rice & water & soak. Turn off heat. (Switch this on 1 hour before serving on high, allow to cook on high till it begins to boil.
- Cook on low heat till you can see the rice & most of the water has evaporated. You should still have some water at the bottom, you can check this by giving it a mix with a fork.
- Then place a flat skillet (tawi) under the pot & cook on low heat till done.
- In another pot fry onions & green chillies in oil until soft.
- Add ginger garlic, mix & cook for a few seconds.
- Add tomato, salt, cumin powder & jeeru powder. Mix & cook till oil separates.
- Add cooked chicken & mix.
- Finally add the cooked dhal mixture to the chicken mixture. Mix well & bring to boil. Cook on low heat for about half an hour. Garnish with chopped coriander & Enjoy!