An easy recipe always makes it taste more delicious!! Always stuck on what to give the kids for their packed lunch? This recipe is perfect! You can even prepare the marinade and freeze in advance.
To make it even simpler, you can always buy ready made pitta pockets, if you don’t want to go through the hassle of making your own. Either way, nothing beats home-made pitta pockets! Everybody’s favourite!
- 4 cups / 610g strong white bread flour
- 4 tbsps / 60ml sunflower oil
- 2 cups 500ml lukewarm water ( may need more)
- 3 tsp yeast
- 5 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Homemade marinade (see recipe)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 500g boneless chicken cubed
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Red onions finely chopped (optional)
- Mixed peppers finely chopped (optional)
- Recite Bismillah
- Prepare Pitta pockets by mixing all the ingredients in a stand mixer to form a soft dough. Allow to rise till double in size (atleast 2 hours).
- Meanwhile marinate chicken in homemade marinade for a couple of hours.
- Cook on high heat with onions, peppers, butter & olive oil till water evaporates & chicken is cooked . Add salt & pepper if needed. Turn off heat.
- When cool add desired amount of mayo & mix.
- Roll the dough out into Pitta pocket size circles, making sure it’s not too thin.
- Allow them to rise for 10 minutes.
- Cook on a flat skillet (tawi), spreading ghee on one side.
- When cool, slice the pitta pockets 3/4 of the way down, enough to fill your filling.
- Add filling with salad/sauces of your choice & enjoy!