To make it even simpler, you can always buy ready made pitta pockets, if you don’t want to go through the hassle of making your own. Either way, nothing beats home-made pitta pockets! Everybody’s favourite!
- 4 cups / 610g strong white bread flour
- 4 tbsps / 60ml sunflower oil
- 2 cups 500ml lukewarm water ( may need more)
- 3 tsp yeast
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 5 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Homemade marinade (see recipe)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Knob of butter
- 500g boneless chicken cubed
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Red onions finely chopped (optional)
- Mixed peppers finely chopped (optional)
- Recite Bismillah
- Prepare Pitta pockets by mixing all the ingredients in a stand mixer to form a soft dough. Allow to rise till double in size (atleast 2 hours).
- Meanwhile marinate chicken in homemade marinade for a couple of hours.
- Cook on high heat with onions, peppers, butter & olive oil till water evaporates & chicken is cooked . Add salt & pepper if needed. Turn off heat.
- When cool add desired amount of mayo & mix.
- Roll the dough out into Pitta pocket size circles, making sure it’s not too thin.
- Allow them to rise for 10 minutes.
- Cook on a flat skillet (tawi), spreading ghee on one side.
- When cool, slice the pitta pockets 3/4 of the way down, enough to fill your filling.
- Add filling with salad/sauces of your choice & enjoy!
2 thoughts on “Chicken Pitta Pockets ”