~Recipe Credit Umme- Ayub Bobat~
Burfee is a sweet confectionery from India. The name is derived from the Persian word “barf” which means snow.
- 500g milk powder
- 3/4 cup (semi melted) ghee
- 3/4 cup milk
- Finely chopped almonds & pistachios to garinish.
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup double cream
- 1/2 tsp rose/ice cream essence (optional)
- 1/4 cup grounded almonds
- 3/4 tsp cardamom powder
- Recite Bismillah.
- In a bowl combine the milk powder & ghee.
- Then add in the milk.
- Rub together with hands to form breadcrumb like crumbs, also known as khanka in Gujarati. (Shown below)
- Cover with a muslin cloth/ cheese cloth & Leave aside over night.
- In a pot combine all the ingredients for the syrup except the cream & almond powder.
- Cook on high heat stirring continuously for about 15-17 mins. You will know the syrup is ready when it has a stringy texture. You can check this by lifting the spoon. If the syrup drips in a way that it is forming a string you know that it is ready.
- Then add the cream & boil for a few mins.
- Lower the heat & add the milk powder crumbs & grounded almonds.
- Cook on low heat stirring for 1-2 mins only.
- Pour in desired size tray, garnish with finely chopped almonds & pistachios.
- Allow to set for 24 hours & cut into pieces. You can also serve this hot, it makes a delicious dessert. Enjoy!