This recipe was given to me by my lovely neighbour who passed away! She came with this cake when we moved into our new home! She was so welcoming Masha’Allah, such a beautiful soul! Please recite Surah ikhlaas for her thrice & send her the reward of one Quran. Keep her in your Duas . May Allah ﷻ elevate her status & grant her Jannatul Firdaws!
- 250ml sunflower oil
- 4 large eggs (at room temperature)
- 225g light brown sugar
- 200g carrots (grated)
- 300g self raising flour (sifted)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g walnuts / pecan nuts (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
Cream cheese frosting
- 330g Philadelphia Cheese
- 150g salted butter (at room temperature)
- 150g icing sugar
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Recite Bismillah.
- Whisk oil, sugar & eggs till lighter in colour, thick & fluffy. This will take a while & is the key to a fluffy & airy cake. (We recommend taking out the stand mixer for this)
- Meanwhile preheat oven to 180C/160C Fan.
- Grease 2 x 8 inch pans with a generous amount of butter, including the sides. Then sprinkle some self raising flour & shake & tilt the tin around so it is thinly coated with flour. Shake off any excess flour. Set aside.
- Fold in the grated carrots. Be careful not to over beat at this stage. You must work fast after this stage.
- Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the nuts.
- Divide into 2 x 8” greased, round baking tins.
- Bake the cakes for 35 mins. You will know the cake is cooked when the sides have started to release from the pan & the middle is springy to touch. Do not rely a clean toothpick!
- Run a knife all around the sides of the pan, this will release the cake from the pan.
- Remove the cake from pan by placing a tray on top of the cake. Flip the tin over so that the top of the cake with the tray is now facing down. Pat the back of the tin all around. The cake should release from the bottom. Lift the tin gently.
- Allow to cool, preferably on a cooling rack .
- Prepare the cream cheese frosting by whisking the butter with an electric whisk till light & fluffy
- Stir in icing sugar & whisk till we’ll combined
- Add in cream cheese & orange zest.
- Fill & frost cake. Decorate with chopped pecans.
- Remember us in your duas & enjoy!