This is originally Mary Berrys chocolate cake recipe! She uses the all in on method, however we prefer our method below.
- 50g Cocoa powder (we prefer bournville )
- 6Tbsp boiling water
- 300g sugar
- 100g margarine/butter
- 175g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Vanilla essence (optional)
- 4 tbsp milk
- 3 eggs
- Recite Bismillah.
- Grease 2 x 8″ round tins.
- Preheat oven to 180c fan.
- Beat butter/margarine with sugar
- Add eggs, flour, milk & vanilla.
- Mix cocoa & boiling water to make a thick smooth paste & add to mixture & mix well till well combined but be careful not to over beat!
- Fold in baking powder.
- Pour into tins & bake for 25-30 mins at 180c .
- Remove from tins & allow to cool & then frost! (see our frosting recipes)
Tip: To avoid cocoa lumps in your batter, beat the cocoa & water using a electric whisk till its smooth.