- 8 oz salted butter (preferably left at room temperature overnight / few hours)
- 8 oz sugar (preferably caster sugar)
- 4 medium/large eggs (preferably left at room temperature overnight / few hours)
- 6 oz self raising flour
- 2 oz cocoa powder
- 1tsp baking powder
- Recite Bismillah
- Preheat oven to 170c fan. (Ovens may vary from 170-180)
- Beat butter & sugar till light & creamy. This may take a while & is the key to light & airy cakes. (We recommend taking out the stand mixer for this)
- Meanwhile sift flour & cocoa in a bowl together & set aside.
- Prepare your cupcake cases by placing them in a cupcake baking tin / tray. This will help your cakes to bake evenly.
- Add in one egg at a time with a tbsp of the flour & cocoa to the mixture until well combined. Be careful not to over beat at this stage!
- Then add remaining flour & cocoa & mix.
- Finally fold in the baking powder.
- Spoon into cupcake cases using an ice cream scoop.
- Bake at 170c fan oven for 15-20 mins. You will know the cake is cooked when the sides have started to release from the pan & the middle is springy to touch. Do not rely on a clean toothpick!
- Remove from cupcake pan or tray & allow to cool, preferably on a cooling rack.
- Frost! (see our frosting recipes)
- If you think your batter looks very doughy like add a few tbsps of water.
- If you do not have a stand mixer, have all the ingredients weighed out & ready so all you are focusing on is the making the cake batter!
- If you do not have caster sugar, you can make some at home yourself! Simply blitz granulated sugar in a food processor / chopper, till the grains look like caster sugar, be careful not to blitz it too much & turn it into icing sugar!