~Recipe Credit: Umme Hamza~
- 1 tin condensed milk (397g)
- 1/2 cup coarse soji (semolina)
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 2 tbsps ghee
- Pinch of nutmeg powder
- Pinch of elachi (cardamom) powder
- 2 1/2 cups self raising flour
- Desiccated coconut
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3 1/2 cups sugar
- Recite Bismillah.
- In a bowl combine the condensed milk , semolina, egg, ghee, nutmeg powder & cardamom powder.
- Then add the flour to make a soft dough. (You may need more flour)
- Make lollies the size of small dates. (These will double in size)
- Heat oil on medium heat.
- Once the oil has heated, turn the heat to low heat.
- Add the gulab jamun & fry on low heat till golden. (This will require patience so do not increase the heat.
- Meanwhile combine the ingredients of the syrup in a pot.
- Cook on high heat stirring continuously for about 15-17 mins. You will know the syrup is ready when it has a stringy texture. You can check this by lifting the spoon. If the syrup drips in a way that it is forming a string you know that it is ready.
- As soon as the gulab jamuns are cooked soak them in syrup till they feel heavy & full of syrup. If you feel that they are not soaking in syrup, poke them with a fork gently, allowing the syrup to soak in.
- Roll in coconut & enjoy!
Tip: If you want the gulab jamuns fully soaked, add them in the syrup immediately after removing them from the oil.