بِسْمِ اللّٰهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيْمِ
“In the name of Allah the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.”
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said: “There are people who fast and get nothing from their fast except hunger, and there are those who pray and get nothing from their prayer but a sleepless night. (Because of not abstaining from sins)”
Doing makhrooh (disliked) actions will not break the fast however it will decrease the reward of the fast. They are:
- To clean the teeth with charcoal
- To clean the teeth with toothpaste.
- To exaggerate when gargling the mouth.
- To exaggerate when putting sniffing water up the nostrils.
- Kissing / embracing spouse when fear of inercourse or ejaculation.
- Doing anything that will weaken you.
- Looking at the opposite gender lustfully apart from one’s spouse.
- To taste food without swallowing it (this will not be makhrooh in extreme situations woman’s husband is ill tempered / a chef may lose his job).
- To gather spit in the mouth & swallow it.
- To backbite.
- To lie.
- To swear.
- To show restlessness & complain of hunger.
- To delay ghusl intentionally after subah sadiq.
- To listen to music.
- To watch Tv.
- Commiting any act of sins.
The use of toothpaste whilst fasting is Makrooh (disliked), as there is an increase chance of a person swallowing the paste, which will result in the fast breaking.
Scholars advise brushing the teeth just before the beginning time of the fast, at dawn, after the suhoor.
One may also use the sunnah miswaak (tooth stick) without tooth paste throughout the day.
~Written by Umm Aa’ishah -Graduate of Ar-Rahman Madrassah (Bolton)