بِسْمِ اللّٰهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيْمِ
“In the name of Allah the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.”
Actions that break the fast:
- Ejaculation caused by physical stimulation accidentally or intentionally
- Sexual intercourse deliberately
- Vomiting a mouthful intentionally
- Swallowing any amount of vomit intentionally
- Asthma pumps / Inhalers (continue fasting but make qadha)
- Nasal sprays
- Deliberate Eating / drinking
- To eat and drink forgetting that one is fasting and thereafter thinking that the fast is broken, eating and drinking again.
- To continue eating and drinking after dawn or to break the fast before the sunset sets in, due to a
cloudy sky or a faulty watch etc., and then realizing one’s mistake.
- For women to apply medicine in to the urinary organs.
- Smoking cigarettes
- Inhaling smoke intentionally
- Sheesha / Hookah
- Intentionally inhaling steam
- Swallowing toothpaste / mouthwash
- Swallowing blood from the teeth / gums if it’s more than the saliva.
- Swallowing saliva of one’s spouse
- Menstruation / haidh
- Post natal bleeding / nifaas
- Medicine inserted through a females vagina
- Swallowing something edible, equal to or bigger than a grain of gram (a chick pea), which was stuck between the teeth. However if it is first taken out of the mouth and then swallowed, it will
- break the fast whether it is larger or smaller than the size of a gram.
- Inserting a wet tampon
Actions that don’t break the fast:
- Blood test
- Cutting hair
- Cutting nails
- Vomiting unintentionally
- Vomiting less than a mouthful intentionally
- Water entering the ears
- Wet dream
- Eating / drinking forgetfully
- Swallowing one’s own saliva
- Kissing one’s spouse
- Embracing the spouse
- Engaging in sexual intercourse forgetfully
- Applying perfume
- Wearing contact lenses
- Applying eye drops
- Applying eyeliner
- Ear drops
- Doing Miswaak
- Applying lip balm, however if it is swallowed the fast will break.
- Taking an insulin injection whilst fasting is permissible. The insulin does not nullify the fast. However, in the case where the insulin is directly injected into the stomach the fast will be nullified.
- Starting the fast in a major ritual impurity
- Swimming (without swallowing any water)
- Covid 19 test
- Covid 19 vaccine
- Rubbing oil onto the body or hair
- Inhaling smoke unintentionally
- Brushing the teeth without toothpaste
- Using toothpaste is makrooh (disliked) during a fast as long as it is not swallowed. If swallowed, it will break the fast. The teeth should be brushed before the suhur time expires.
- Applying fragrance
- Inserting a dry tampon
- Smear Test
- Ear drops
- Dyeing hair
- Hair removal / shaving
Intentionally vomiting (is when you make yourself vomit- putting fingers down throat etc)
Unintentionally vomiting (vomiting without causing it to happen purposely)
When does it break the fast?
A) If you vomit intentionally & it is LESS than a mouthful, it does not break the fast..
B) If you vomit intentionally & it is a mouthful or more then it will break the fast.
C) Unintentionally vomiting does not break the fast regardless of its amount.
D) If you vomit intentionally & swallow it, the fast will break regardless of it’s amount..
E) If you vomit unintentionally & swallow it intentionally fast will break.
F) If you vomit unintentionally & swallow it by mistake the fast will not break
*Mouthful is the amount one cannot holdback without difficulty*